[Bf-committers] Extrude Popup

William Reynish billrey at me.com
Thu Feb 11 14:48:47 CET 2010

Hi all,

A lot of fantastic features and fixes has made it into 2.5 recently, but one thing caught my eye as a pretty large setback.

When extruding, a popup menu now appears giving the user several option to choose from. Unfortunately I don't think this is a very good solution, for these reasons:

*It destroys workflow by taking the user out of the current context (mesh manipulation) and into a new one (menu with options). Is distracting and annoying. Your attention is interrupted.
*It requites an extra click *every* time the user wants to extrude anything
*It requires extra precision mouse travel to select the relevant option

Extruding is such an oft-used tool that that this has a rather huge negative implications for mesh modeling as a whole. I think anyone would agree to be against popup menus before transforms, and the same applies to other common tools, such as extrude.

While I appreciate the problem that was attempted to be solved with the popup menu, it's pretty disastrous for workflow. Now, there are several alternative solutions possible, but the best one I can think of is as follows:

*Extrude Region / Individual should become two operators, keeping Extrude Region on the E shortcut. Either that, or it's one operator with two settings, which are invoked with two different hotkeys and two different entries in the toolbar.
*Extrude vert/edge/face should just follow what selection mode you're currently in.

Cheers,

-William