[Bf-committers] faster usage of panels via pie menu

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Wed Feb 10 22:19:23 CET 2010

Hi,
rogerwickes at yahoo.com (2010-02-09 at 1936.00 -0800):
> interesting. what takes my time (and vertical space) is scrolling
> thru expanded panels, and i find myself constantly collapsing
> them. If I were allowed to request a feature, it would be a hotkey
> to collapse all panels within a context. Invoked as a hotkey, the
> Home key perhaps, since home in the image editor and sequencer scale
> the contents to fit within the viewable area. As an icon, perhaps
> the same little circled + thing used in the outliner window to
> expand/collapse, placed next to the pushpin on the context header,
> to expand/collapse all. To me, finding the panel/option you want is
> all variations on a collapsable menu strategy, like the outliner or
> menu/submenu lookups.

I had a hack to experiment with that concept. Press number keys, and
panels open or close. Call it visibility for panels, like in 3d view
layers, or panel accelerators, like in menus. Anybody interested in
testing the idea can try how it feels now. Known issues are that
reordering does not changes the keys and that position of mouse is
important (focus collision with buttons). If anybody is interested in
doing it better, go ahead.

http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/number-shortcuts-for-panels-20091203b.diff

GSR