[Bf-committers] 80 minutes film needs coding help!

Juan Pablo Bouza jpbouza at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 16:06:36 CET 2010

Hey! Here is jpbouza reporting in!

With the fundings of the National Institute of cinematography (INCAA) here in Argentina we are going to start making a feature film entirely with Blender and Gimp.

This film will consist on a series of short stories by Julio Cortázar (a very renowned Argentinian writer). The idea is that the film will be 2.5D. Basically it will be based on drawings and paintings made by important Argentinian artists.
So we are going to use Motion Graphics techniques with Blender. In most cases, we will be using  cut out characters imported from gimp's XCF files, and those layers will be placed as textures over planes.

Well, the feature that we are missing is to be able to see video or image sequence textures in real time over those meshes in GLSL view. In other words, this textures should refresh in real time when you hit the PLAY button.

Initially we were thinking on using Blender 2.49, but if you find that this is easier to code in 2.5 go ahead.

In case you are interested in coding this feature, here is a blend file with a very rough test of the technique.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1716042/cronos.blend

We are using this very clever script for importing xcf layers into blender:

http://alexvaqp.googlepages.com/xcf_layers_suite_en

Here is an early preview of the project:

http://vimeo.com/5655926

Password: cronopios

The first video is a short film I did 5 years ago (I did it on my own, and it was one of the first serious things I ever did so it has a lot of things that could be better). The idea is to re-make that short film too.
At the end of the video there are two previews of the early artwork of two of the painters involved in the project.

Here is a very badly encoded version of the first video with english subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEebDhSxncU

Remember that this is a very early work I'm showing you, so don't get scared!! The final project will look nothing like this.

The project will be starting on March presumably, so there is more than a month to code the feature.

For those who are interested, just contact me at jpbouza at gmail or at #blendercoders channel and we'll talk about deadlines, money, etc etc.

See you!

Juan Pablo Bouza

www.jpbouza.com.ar