[Bf-committers] faster usage of panels via pie menu

Charles Wardlaw cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com
Tue Feb 9 23:14:18 CET 2010

Now that I'm using 2.5 at home, I've been thinking about pie menus a lot.

I find in Modo and Maya, for certain things they're great for
workflow.  I like how in Modo the main ones are triggered by holding
down a keyboard combination, as opposed to Maya's right-click-and-hold
method (which I feel isn't very efficient).  Modo's visual feedback (a
little arrow that spins with your mouse combined with highlighting the
buttons) is also very good. Right now I'm creating operators with
specific prefixes and using space to search for them, but that's not
optimal.

I really like the idea of it popping up a panel like the F6 key,
although the same pie menu in the Properties area could scroll to the
requested panel instead.

I would *kill* for the ability to customize pie menus by creating
custom classes for them.
~ C