[Bf-committers] alternate naming for search

Elia Sarti vekoon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:24:06 CET 2010

I remember talking already about something like this, and the issue that
came up was mainly: we can create a very simple tag system, very easy to
implement, but that will look stupid most of the times, or we can do a
sophisticate tag-based search system that looks smart most of the times
but is harder to implement.

For instance in your example what happens if the user types screencast?
Then you'd have to create some kind of algorithm to determine the word
(or words) to search for by removing common words and spaces (in
multiple languages?), ordering them and so on.

What I think would be best is to implement a very basic tag system
(exact match on tags) but with no tags added in by default. We let
instead the user add, remove and edit the tags he wants on tools (and
later could be expanded to resources, like materials, textures, objects,
etc).
This is how other programs do resource tagging and I don't see why this
couldn't be expanded to tools as well.

This way you don't care about translation for tags (each user add his
own in the language he wants) and the user can simply search the
Internet once for instance for "maya connect in blender" and find the
corresponding Blender name and tag the operator with connect or whatever.