[Bf-committers] number of commiters

raulf at info.upr.edu.cu raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Wed Dec 22 18:46:08 CET 2010

Hi Jeroen :)

Good points and I don´t see how my points are against yours, both are two
sides of the same coin :)

> Hi,
>
> A wise men told me, with great power comes great responsibility. I find
> myself to be a very experienced developer, but still I like that my
> patches are reviewed by other people. With the feedback I get, I can get
> my blender-patches of better quality then before.

 Oh yes, and I don´t think a committer should make overhauls/big changes
without get review/aproval of others, feedback is the only way to stay on
track and being a committer dosn´t mean being a god and act on free will.

> A developer can get recognition in multiple ways, and in my opinion
> recognition and being a committer are two separate things. But I
> understand that for some people becoming a committer is a goal.

 Oh, said in that way , makes me feel that having that goal is some
selfish/bad desire, while I think that is the maximun aspiration of a
people from the ground/unknown side of the world could get, because
taking that responsability means that you get professional enough and you
are much more compelled to work hard and improve yourself than relying in
other´s advices.

> Blender itself is a very interesting project, I don't see blender
> developers leave because they can become committers easier somewhere
> else. Also the number of committers also does not effect the quality of
> the code-base. Mostly quality is determined by communication and
> experience.
>
> Jeroen.

 The numbers matters ... more heads think better than one, and while is
true that some research has shown that group decisions are less effective
than the decision of the best of the group and better than the decision
of the average person of the group, the importance of new ideas/people
can´t be diminished in open source projects, if more people reach the
status of committers (eraned the rigth way , I´m not saying the easy way)
then it will mean maturity of the project, profesionalism of the dev base
and necessarily more quality codebase over time.

I agree with you, no issues on that. :)

early Merry Christmas

Raul