[Bf-committers] Windows Explorer thumbnails for 2.5

Tom Edwards contact at steamreview.org
Wed Dec 22 12:09:59 CET 2010

On 22/12/2010 12:50, Caleb wrote:
> I've always wanted something like this, thanks for making it! However, I
> haven't been able to get it working.
>
> I put the x64 BlendThumb.dll into System32, ran "regsvr32
> %windir%\System32\BlendThumb.dll", deleted IconCache.db from
> AppData\Local and rebooted my system. Explorer still won't show any
> thumbnails for my 2.55 .blend files. I'm running Windows 7 x64. Any ideas?

I can think of two possibilities:

- Your files don't have thumbnails. I think that 2.50 didn't create any,
and I've noticed that files upgraded to 2.5x from 2.4x don't get any
either. Open the blends up in a hex/text editor and look for the "TEST"
block close to the start (normally byte 68).

- You're running running full UAC, with the administrator being a
different user, and regsvr32 ran elevated. The library currently
registers itself per-user, so the admin account will have the thumbnails
and you won't. The registration process doesn't normally require
elevation AFAIK so this is less likely.

If neither of these are true, could you please send the contents of
these reg keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.blend
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{D45F043D-F17F-4e8a-8435-70971D9FA46D}