[Bf-committers] Tiled Compositing Render: Progress?

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 09:25:23 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Jeroen Bakker <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
> I am still working on the design. Progress is not that far from
> beginning of November. Had some problems with my development station
> lately and a new version of Blender-aid takes a lot of time. Most next
> step are project management related, Next steps are:
>
> 1. Run current implementation on a low-end (Quadro FX 360), mid-end (GTS
> 220) and high level graphical card GTX580 (due before the end of
> December). Testing the differences between these is needed to create a
> more future-proof design. That what is now high-end might be mid-end in
> 3 years or-so.

Is this for the OpenCL implementation?

I know in the past I have been aware of more than a few folks that are
quite excited about the possibility of GPU enhanced calculations, but
when talking with industry folks, the concerns are with consistency of
delivery.

Does OpenCL suffer from the same inconsistencies?

Am I to assume that tiled software driven rendering is to happen
alongside of this so that the artist pipeline is able to harness the
power of GPU calculations for more immediate feedback of looks and
then software based for final consistency of rendering across all
platforms?

> 3. Getting communication, planning and finance aligned. When these are
> controlled, I have more time to work on the compositor and the faster
> the realization can be done.

I'd think that tile based compositor software rendering is very high
up most people's priority list. As such, group sourced funding might
be a feasible approach.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
TJS