[Bf-committers] Node-able render pipeline

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Dec 1 23:03:03 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:50 AM, pete larabell <xgl.asyliax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brecht,
>
> What Jae was specifically talking about while discussing this with me was to
> be able to do just about whatever you can do through the assembly
> instructions on modern GPUs, but via nodes.

Hi, I think unless you have a lot of knowledge of render architecture,
shading systems, and experience in production rendering, this may not
be such a good project. Designing a rendering system is about *a lot*
more than converting math to GPU assembly instructions, it really does
require a lot of background knowledge of the issues involved in order
to make something that's useful for artists.

If you're hooked on the idea, perhaps it might be easier to look at
(or at least investigate the feasibility) of integrating a node based
shading architecture into an existing renderer with a more modern
design, perhaps one already using GPU for some things, like luxrender.
That should at least give you an idea of the complexities involved.

cheers

Matt