[Bf-committers] Node-able render pipeline

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:50:56 CET 2010

Brecht,

What Jae was specifically talking about while discussing this with me was to
be able to do just about whatever you can do through the assembly
instructions on modern GPUs, but via nodes.

She was thinking about allowing a node setup (maybe this is already done
through several (some WIP) node sets already) to control complete transform
and lighting, where the nodes could access geometry data, and do "Anything"
to it, read lighting coords, do all your math against all that, and if
desired, even do your own shadow calculations by spawning off mini-buffers
to render depth from lights and redirecting their outputs to yet more nodes
for creating shadow buffers and such.

Maybe she had a grand idea of making one gigantic node window to do
EVERYTHING that can almost be accomplished already through several node
windows.

Does that make more sense?

If not I guess I'll just transcribe something directly from her. :)

Thanks!
Peter