[Bf-committers] Node-able render pipeline

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:12:28 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm writing this email primarily on behalf of Jaevixa McNomera, as right NOW
she's in the hospital and doesn't have THAT much access to a PC. That being
said, this is also something I'd like to work on. :)

Due to her work related life threatening injury she sustained a few months
ago, her company has been generous enough to grant her, as it stands now, 24
months of paid time off. During this time she would like to contribute as
much as she can to Blender. What we'd like to do, if this isn't already
being done, is implement a node based version of a render pipeline.
Basically allowing a user to do what people can do with programmable GPUs
now, but with a node driven interface.

As a first revision of sorts we'd like to attempt to create this in parallel
to the existing render pipeline, by simply trying to get THAT (the existing
one) represented in a node based structure, just as a proof of concept.

The custom lighting calculations a user could produce would be one great
addition this would allow. I'm sure there are MANY other things people
would/could do with it.

Is something like this already in the works, or shall we proceed further
with exploration of this?

Peter