[Bf-committers] Operator Import/Export (proposed changes)

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Aug 31 23:49:30 CEST 2010

On 01/09/2010, at 01:59 , Campbell Barton wrote:

> There are some changes I planned for a while and should do sooner then
> later since our own scripts are meant as examples for new devs to
> follow.
> In brief the proposal is to have import/export be setup more like addons.

One important thing to think about then would be improving the usability of importers/exporters. It would be great if you could just File->Open, or File->Import, find your file, and have the format guessed automatically based on file extension by default (with also a menu to override the auto-guessing).

Having to choose the name of the format in advance can be error prone, and it would be nice  to not have to worry about what the format is - someone sends you a file, and you just just click on it, you don't have to know whether it's a Wavefront or a LightWave Object or whatever. Bonus points for being able to import multiple files at the same time, of different formats, etc. -  could save some time.

cheers

Matt