[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenCL

Arturo José Pérez Verdú arturjosep at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 01:04:35 CEST 2010

Hi again,

El 28/08/2010, a las 21:50, Ralph Giles escribió:

> 2010/8/25 Arturo José Pérez Verdú <arturjosep at gmail.com>:
>
>> When you are talking about the fallback to normal CPU execution you are talking about an optimized CPU execution? I mean, as I understand OpenCL, there's always at least one OpenCL capable device, the CPU.
>
> This depends on the implementation. OpenCL code *can* be compiled to
> run on the CPU, and for example Apple's implementation supports this,
> but I believe some of the GPU vendor's implementations do not; that
> is, they can only compile targetting the GPU, not the CPU.
>
> But as Jeroen points out, OpenCL itself may not be available, so
> separate fallback code is necessary regardless.

Yes, what a pity. :-( I'm using OpenCL on MacOSX and never cared about this.

So in this case extra maintenance cost must be assumed.

By the way, I haven't tried the patch yet but just giving a look I think we will need this to compile under MacOSX

#if defined(__APPLE__) || defined(__MACOSX)
#include <OpenCL/opencl.h>
#else
#include <CL/opencl.h>
#endif