[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenCL

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Aug 25 13:42:16 CEST 2010

On 08/25/2010 07:36 AM, Lukas Tönne wrote:
> You may have noticed the new simulation nodes i am currently working
> on ( http://phonybone.planetblender.org/ ). Until now i didn't really
> pay attention to OpenCL, in fact i even made my own multithreaded
> batch processing system for object data like vertices and particles.
> Yesterday i took a closer look at what OpenCL can actually do and i
> have to say i'm quite intrigued now :) Coding the node execution
> process is just one half of the journey, currently i am working on
> further improvements of ui features. When that is done i definitely
> want to give OpenCL a try and such a general framework could be very
> helpful.

This is really a good situation where OpenCL can have good benefits.
Based on your node system a custom OpenCL source code can be generated
(like the current Material->PixelShaders) and can be performed and
cached. OpenCL has an event system that can be used for joining threads
etc. You should really look into that aspect of OpenCL.

As you could have read am I looking into Node systems as these can
become very complex for normal CPU based things. And your node system
can also have a very large dataset. That is also a very good requirement
for going to OpenCL.

Jeroen