[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenCL

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Aug 25 07:42:22 CEST 2010

On 08/24/2010 07:46 PM, Xavier Thomas wrote:
> You might be interested in MiniCL used in the bullet physics library.
> It permit to use OpenCL on CPU only.

Thanks, but I have a question on MiniCL as I am not sure if this is
suitable. IMO you need different code for CPU's and GPU's.

CPU optimization you minimize the number of loops. The total number of
instructions, time should be minimized.
GPU you balance the loops between the number of platforms, devices,
nodes and cores.
Sometimes it is better not to optimize any code on GPU's, but just play
with the data in the KernelTasks. But we know that the same code on a
CPU will perform very bad.

Still I will look into the MiniCL library as I didn't heard about it.

Jeroen.