[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenCL

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 21:04:16 CEST 2010

Yo, back on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 Keir Mierle was all like:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Jeroen Bakker <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
>
> > I have been experimenting with OpenCL and are planning a basic framework
> > to support it in Blender.
>
> Can't the default be "auto" so that OpenCL is used if present, not
> otherwise, but can be disabled with a command line flag? Most blender users
> can probably do OpenCL and should not have to tweak the cmdline parameters.

Simply using auto detection may not be the best approach. If you have situations where you have a high-power multi-core CPU coupled with a low-end GPU capable of OpenCL, it can often be the case that the CPU can out-perform the GPU.

-Reuben