[Bf-committers] Alembic

§ĥřïñïďĥï Ŗäö shrinidhi666 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:31:39 CEST 2010

Hi. I think this is more specific than collada since alembic stores only the
geometry cache with out the complexity of bones . This type of technology is
very useful in VFX pipelines where animated geometry goes through more than
one application of different expertise . for eg : you can dump an animated
character from blender and take it to houdini (using an importer offcourse
:) ) and make some rigid body simulations in houdini based on the character
animated . This could be baked and used in blender for lighting and other
interesting stuff . Collada is a overkill regarding such a work flow :)
afaik .

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't see any common stuff w/ Collada actually.
> Collada is useful in case you have to exchange datas and expect to re-edit
> later. Then you will have to deal with stuff like bones and rigging that
> doesn't work, lighting properties that do not match and I'm not even
> starting w/ animation curves and stuff...
> to me Alembic looks more like a bake file format, so at that point you do
> not expect to edit what you got. It is more based on a multi-company /
> multi-software workflow based, where you don't want to deal w/ I/O
> nightmare.
> For instance, one company is taking care of all the environment with some
> dynamics happening, and another company (which do not use the same software
> as the first company) is animating a crowed running in this environment.
> This just simplify the workflow, today if you wanted to that (and I have
> see
> this before in a company) you would have to export an obj file for each
> frame.
> That's actually what we do w/ fluids in blender today, I believe there is a
> script that does that somewhere to export to Max. Well I guess Alembic is
> something that goes in this way, but maybe more mature. But there is no
> comparaison to Collada to me, or maybe I misunderstood there point.
>

> François,
>

> 2010/8/23 Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com <zanqdo at gmail.com>
>
> > Iḿ very interested, I see its far more based on point caches than what
> > collada tried to do (exporting bones and all that stuff that NEVER
> > works) I see this is a more mature and experience aproach but only
> > time will say :)
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Daniel Salazar
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Benjamin Tolputt
> > <btolputt at internode.on.net> wrote:
> > > Is there any reason this is going to be better than Collada or is this
> > > another example of "Not Invented Here Syndrome"?
> > >
> > > If there are real advantages, I can see a point to Blender getting in
> > > with an importer/exporter. If it is just another Collada though - I can
> > > see this being another format war with no real winner...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Benjamin Tolputt
> > > Analyst Programmer

> --

Ęvęņ ģóđ fąįļş ŧŏ ųŋđęŗşţąņđ å ĥųmąņ ųņţĭļ ĥĭş đęąţĥ

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shrinidhi666
http://www.shrinidhi666.wordpress.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3025616