[Bf-committers] About recognition in commit logs

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 00:43:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think for patches it's a common practice to acknowledge the
> contributor, but for reported bugs we (me at least) often thanks the
> person in the tracker, but not necessarily in the commit.
> If people don't mind commit logs to become a bit more verbose it would
> be a pleasure to mention for example:
> "fix for#[111111] Crash - reported by Mancandy" (and eventually one or
> two lines in the obdy of the log if it's worthy mentioning someone's
> specific effort).
>
> As a side note, bug not reported through tracker tend to have their
> reporter mentioned. Maybe only for "tracking" reasons (no pun,
> really), or because when that happens it's  usually someone you are
> more familiar with anyways. But the true is, how many people read
> commit logs? Shouldn't be better instead to compile a list of all the
> bug reported with bugs fixed prior to a release?
>
> Cheers,
> Dalai
>
> 2010/8/23 Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net>:
>> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 07:42:07AM -0600, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com wrote:
>>> If you say so, I don't want to insist on this because its something
>>> every coder can choose to do at the end.. let this be a reminder then
>>> :)
>>
>> But we *do* want to insist.  As Martin says, this is our traditional
>> practice.
>>
>> Bugfixes and patches are one of the main ways we grow new blender
>> developers.  At the very least, good manners requires acknowledging
>> someone's contribution.  It is not an option.

Patches should of-course reference their authors, to my knowledge we
do a reasonable job of this.

ZanqDo, what about something like Dalai suggests?
We could have a script which takes 2 revisions and scans commit logs
for tracker ID's, then gets the names of the people who reported them
- including this list on the release log page.
Can be done for submitted patches and bug reports.

--
- Campbell