[Bf-committers] About recognition in commit logs

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:21:57 CEST 2010

I think for patches it's a common practice to acknowledge the
contributor, but for reported bugs we (me at least) often thanks the
person in the tracker, but not necessarily in the commit.
If people don't mind commit logs to become a bit more verbose it would
be a pleasure to mention for example:
"fix for#[111111] Crash - reported by Mancandy" (and eventually one or
two lines in the obdy of the log if it's worthy mentioning someone's
specific effort).

As a side note, bug not reported through tracker tend to have their
reporter mentioned. Maybe only for "tracking" reasons (no pun,
really), or because when that happens it's  usually someone you are
more familiar with anyways. But the true is, how many people read
commit logs? Shouldn't be better instead to compile a list of all the
bug reported with bugs fixed prior to a release?

Cheers,
Dalai