[Bf-committers] Alembic

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:01:03 CEST 2010

I don't see any common stuff w/ Collada actually.
Collada is useful in case you have to exchange datas and expect to re-edit
later. Then you will have to deal with stuff like bones and rigging that
doesn't work, lighting properties that do not match and I'm not even
starting w/ animation curves and stuff...
to me Alembic looks more like a bake file format, so at that point you do
not expect to edit what you got. It is more based on a multi-company /
multi-software workflow based, where you don't want to deal w/ I/O
nightmare.
For instance, one company is taking care of all the environment with some
dynamics happening, and another company (which do not use the same software
as the first company) is animating a crowed running in this environment.
This just simplify the workflow, today if you wanted to that (and I have see
this before in a company) you would have to export an obj file for each
frame.
That's actually what we do w/ fluids in blender today, I believe there is a
script that does that somewhere to export to Max. Well I guess Alembic is
something that goes in this way, but maybe more mature. But there is no
comparaison to Collada to me, or maybe I misunderstood there point.

François,