[Bf-committers] About recognition in commit logs

José Romero jose.cyborg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:35:43 CEST 2010

El Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:57:35 -0600
"Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com" <zanqdo at gmail.com> escribió:
>  Hi, Blender development community is not only composed by coders with
> commit access but theres a lot of people who spend time and effort
> testing, debugging, compiling, designing.. Wouldn't it be a nice thing
> to have some commit "code" about giving recognition to this people?
> I've seen cases where even people sending patches aren't recognized in
> the logs or people who have spent weeks debugging. I think it's
> something worth giving a tough and could potentially create a nicer
> environment/image of the development circles
>
> cheers
>
> Daniel Salazar
> www.3developer.com

That's why blender should use Mercurial (or git), where "patches" are
just merged (a merged branch actually), not committed by someone else.
It also helps track down copyrights better as every piece of code is
indeed committed by the person who wrote it, and it can be seen in the
log ;)

It would also eliminate the need to create many branches in the
public development server to have separate development for new
features (or having to maintain a patch set manually), just for
branches blender.org is interested to host (like the ones that are
created right now).

Cheers,

José