[Bf-committers] MSVC project files end of life

Sinan Hassani sinan.hassani at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:41:50 CEST 2010

  Recently I tried compiling Blender using Visual C++ 2010 Express
Edition. I can get the debug to compile but when I run the exe it errors
out with some weird exit code. If I compile with release it compiles and
runs just fine.

So I installed Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (which I had previously
on my system) and it compiles in debug and release just fine. And both
run just fine (this is using CMake 2.8).

My theory on why it doesn't work with Visual C++ 2010 EE:

The VS2010 project exe is using dlls that were compiled with either
Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008. So the executable is corrupt
and cannot run.

CMake didn't used to work for me, with errors in the makesrna stage. But
trying it now recently, with Visual Studio 2008 it works perfectly. So
yes, if you don't mind using VS2008 for now, I think removing manual
MSVC project files is okay.