[Bf-committers] Proposal to unify UI float ranges

Christopher Fredericks zsouthboy at zsouthboy.com
Sun Aug 22 17:46:41 CEST 2010

  I like the indicator idea and would like to add my 2 cents.
To show that the content of the control is overflowed, fade the last
digit(s) to transparent. (Seen on Android OS for program labels that
overflow, off the top of my head)
To view the entire value, mouse over the area and the entire string of
digits is painted "on top" the way a tooltip is.

Quick mockup:

http://imgur.com/GvNt6.png

First shows the initial state.
Next, the entry of too precise a float to be seen in 3 decimal places.
Next, proposed transparent overflow state.
Finally, what happens on mouse hover of the element. The entire float
can be seen.

It's easy to see at a glance that a value is not complete, and doesn't
clutter the UI with some other indicator like *

Christopher