[Bf-committers] Proposal to unify UI float ranges

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 17:05:01 CEST 2010

I would just like to say that it would be great from a user standpoint if the
muscle-memory was consistent with what the user does in 3D space
when grabbing or rotating an object.

just clicking on the thumb and dragging is free-form in reasonable (whole?)
units.

holding shift and clicking or dragging moves the slider in very small
increments. For floats
this would be something like .001 but should be specified in the code

holding ctrl and click/drag controls the step size and it moves in steps. For
something
like a resolution field, this would be like 16.

Arrows apply the step size to the value (same as a ctrl-click in the area
between the thumb and margin)

right-clicking on a control could bring up a list of commonly used values or
saved pre-sets.

For Y resolution, e.g, 240,360,480,720,800,1080

entering values and formulas is a most excellent feature. please preserve. I
regularly enter
1./2.2 for gamma and 40./12. for like 40 inches when I use 1 BU=1 foot.

There was an innovative proposal that someone floated about setting bounds. Like
for
color slider, or hardness, there is the default, coder-recommended min and max,
but
in some cases the user may wish to specify a value much larger. So each control
should have both a recommended min/max, but then also a theoretical min/max
based
on the data type. So, if someone wants say a red value of 2.5, they can set
that.

 --Roger

Check out my website at www.rogerwickes.com for a good deal on my book and
training course, as well as information about my latest activities. Use coupon
Papasmurf for $15 off!