[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 support team

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Aug 20 14:49:48 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I proudly present to you the official Blender 2.5 support team!

Campbell Barton gets a year contract, and will fill Brecht's position.
He will be working for Blender Institute, which might mean he has
(current and future) Open Movie related assignments as well. For at
least the first half the year his main focus will be stabilizing
Blender and the Python API.

And! Thanks to additional sponsoring the Blender Foundation can also
hire:

Nathan Letwory and Janne Karhu, each for 7 months half-time. They will
be fully assigned to the job "get Blender out of beta", manage bug and
patch trackers, support other developers, and get our documentation
updated. They will officially start on September 1st.

Diego Borghetti is still working part time on tracker bugs as well,
his contract has been extended to end of September. I will also check
on doing a more visible donation (subscription?) system for hiring him
or another additional official Blender developer for support topics.

Lastly: I'm planning to be also be available for development,
especially after the Sintel premiere and Conference. My assignment
will be to wrap up unfinished Blender 2.5 project topics, and ensure
the UI works as pleasant and fast for experienced users as they were
used to in the previous versions!

I think we have a great line-up this way, with team assignments that
will have a clear benefit for everyone out there. This kind of work is
the least Blender Foundation should organize.
A discussion how to extend this, like a pay-for-feature, still has to
be done. My preference still is to organize it independently, as
opportunity for new consultancy and integration business around
blender.org.

Exciting times ahead!

Laters,

-Ton-