[Bf-committers] Proposal for handling string encoding in blender.

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 20:30:23 CEST 2010

I think that if you save "numéro" in your .blend, it does not matter what the OS
UTF is;
when you enter it into like the text editor or a field within the Blender UI,
it only matters what the str function in Blender (that is processing that field)

does when it is reading that field and saving it.

I suggest that all string functions in Blender use UTF8 encoding,
and save strings internally as a UTF8 array,
so that the accent is preserved if you enter it as say, a mesh name.

OS dependency is only relevant when, say, creating a folder or file. For that,
Blender should use OS-defaultencoding as Campbell has said, when dealing with
filenames and the absolutely idiotic slash/backslash conflict we have today. All
OS encodings will respect your "numéro" as a filename/dirname/username, afaik.

 --Roger