[Bf-committers] Declarative UI Experiment

Elia Sarti vekoon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 01:17:59 CEST 2010

Well as I said a declarative alternative is not addressed at developers,
but normal users.
Simple cases for people with no dev knowledge means tough cases and more
difficult means absolute obscurity.

I say this because I had a look at a couple 2.5 rigs and custom Python
rigging interfaces in these where anything but simple, and I doubt most
riggers know Python that well.
A declarative language as the one I drafted would make such interfaces
much simpler, mainly keeping you from doing a lot of checks just so you
don't get Python errors/exceptions.

It's clear that this won't be a substitute for Python defined UIs, as
said many times. On the contrary, would just be a limited version of the
Python one, simply because it would (indirectly) use part of the API
while Python can access the API in its entirety.

Again, automatic layout by data grouping wouldn't of course be a
substitute for manual UIs, nor it has ever dreamed of being so. Some UIs
are too complicated to be automated, but that doesn't mean you can't
automate simpler UIs. That's why I said only 70% would be avoided, but
still complicate UIs are the minority. By automating the simpler cases
you can concentrate more on the harder ones.

The more time is spent in doing new things with what's there now the
harder it becomes to change things once we do have a clearer design.
Proof of that are UI scripts, there's so many of them that people are
reluctant in changing the way they work.
Maybe had the amount of UI Python code written so far been 30% in
quantity of what it is the introduction of a new system wouldn't have
been so badly received :)