[Bf-committers] what devs are interested in working full time on Blender?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Aug 10 15:25:28 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

Related to that is the need to revise a clear picture of what BF and
blender.org should do, and what we leave to 'the market'. Tom's ideas
for his new company is overlapping with what we could define as 'core
bizz' for blender.org as well. We should to separate the discussion on
that though.

For example: a subscription based donation system is a good option to
add to blender.org, but based on funding the team that works for BF
already. BF people are not 'for hire' directly, but of course should
work on what's in our best general interest.

So the issue is, does Tom propose to organize a donation system for
the BF, working on that with everyone here and with me to ensure its
all aligned and agreed on, or is he organizing that for his own (new)
business. That's quite a important difference. And I'm not saying that
this own business would be bad, in contrary! I advise everyone to get
into bizz with Blender.

About future of BF: several options are open still. My current
preference is to keep BF as small as possible, with a small team of
part-timers or full-timers who do the essential coordination, and
other tasks that are difficult to organize online via volunteers.
This small team can grow though, it's currently three, and might
become 4 or 5 people next year. But still, the smaller the better...
that will allow us to grow to a real networking organization, where
companies, studios, professionals, universities and institutes hire
Blender developers for jobs and tasks.

This Blender Network I've already discussed with people on last
conference, and it's really about time to get this rolling... :)
Exciting times ahead!

(After we get Blender 2.5x out of beta!)

-Ton-