[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 13:53:12 CEST 2010

I'm sorry Ben, I did not mean to offend. "Do Nothing" is always an option,
and I was alerted that option 5 already covered it. While I grant you that it is
a possibility that something may happen, I was trying to say this thread
was like trying to design a building when you don't have a customer,
don't know what magnitude earthquakes it has to withstand, what the
outside temperature range is, whether it has to be airtight, what gravity
is, and all those other unknowns. We could just as easily be sitting here
debating the best building solution when one guy is talking about a building
in California, another in Finland, and another on the Moon. One guy says
we should use Concrete (Lua), another Glass (pypy), and so on.

No thread yet that I have seen has identified any specific python call
that should be blocked or filtered. The "Do Nothing until it happens"
approach is the most efficient way to apply sparse and volunteer
labor to "long tails" - events that have not happened but could but have a very
low probability of happening. I think we need a real-world case or practical
detailed requirements and use cases.

--Roger