[Bf-committers] parsing Blender and math expressions?

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 30 09:11:55 CEST 2010

Toni Alatalo wrote:
> Triggered by the crazily exploded security/sandboxing talk, I looked a
> bit into what kind of mathematical expression parsers etc. there are for
> Python... <snipped details>

This would be a reasonable compromise in my opinion. It is how
expressions are used in alternate 3D packages such as Lightwave & XSI. A
majority of the expressions I use are simple mathematical equations
taking in the current location/orientation of other bones/objects in the
scene.

Whether or not it bumps up against the position of "only standard Python
in Blender" depends on how strict the developers are about it. If they
only mean that in the case of not customising the Python runtime &
related code - this would fit that definition without problems

With that in mind, it does make you wonder why we cannot use the logic
nodes (or similar) for the problem. That would allow you together what
you need whilst referencing only the elements of functionality that the
logic nodes make available - scene data, mathematical expression, and
conditionals. If this was to be classified as worthwhile, a "nodes to
Python subset" and it's inverse would be quite useful in the Game Engine
as well.

Worth noting in the meeting topic Campbell has proposed.