[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Michael Judd mike at juddrobotics.com
Fri Apr 30 06:48:53 CEST 2010

Benjamin Tolputt wrote:
> People in the graphics industry probably already have Max or Maya, so we
> shouldn't bother making Blender better.
> Businesses needing Unix probably already have contracts with IBM, so we
> shouldn't bother making Linux better
> People growing up in underprivileged areas are likely to never amount to
> anything, so we shouldn't bother helping them better themselves.
>
> What a wonderful world that would be, eh?

That's one way of looking at it.
I guess some people look at the 1000's of man years of effort that go
into creating anti-virus and anti-malware applications for Windows and
think of it as a valiant struggle to make the world a better place.
Some people no doubt look at it as a total waste of time when there are
freely available, virus and malware free options to running Windows in
the first place.
Obviously someone putting the effort in to increasing security in python
and blender would be great.
But if no-one is willing to expend the effort, the consequences aren't
that dire. There are freely available alternatives.
A warning popup at installation time or on the download web page could
educate people about the dangers and their options.
Though I'm sure all those Windows users that download and run blender
with administrator privileges will appreciate your efforts to protect
them when they feel compelled to load untrusted blend files (as I no
doubt have done myself in the past).