[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 30 03:59:01 CEST 2010

Michael Judd wrote:
> People concerned about malicious scripts already have options to run
> scripts from the wild in a secure fashion now using a virtual machine or
> a locked down user on a decent OS.

And as I said before, it is the people that don't know to be concerned
that need this the most. Anyone likely to be using your "locked down
decent OS" and/or has the skills to setup a virtual machine (ignoring
the performance problems that entails) is unlikely to be downloading
unsecure scene of the Internet. Remember, even a concientious user who
scans the .blend file with an anti-virus is going to still be compromised.

> People not concerned about security have probably already been pwned anyway.

People in the graphics industry probably already have Max or Maya, so we
shouldn't bother making Blender better.
Businesses needing Unix probably already have contracts with IBM, so we
shouldn't bother making Linux better
People growing up in underprivileged areas are likely to never amount to
anything, so we shouldn't bother helping them better themselves.

What a wonderful world that would be, eh?