[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 30 02:55:57 CEST 2010

Ken Hughes wrote:
> I didn't mean that to come across as a personal attack, Benjamin.  I'm
> just pointing out that just because someone has an idea, that doesn't
> mean it's the right idea.
>
> Ken Hughes wrote:
>
>> Apathy can also result in people giving up trying to convince others of
>> the wrong solutions.  It's a double-edge sword.

Don't worry mate, I got your meaning, even if it didn't quite read that
way the first time :)

I honestly think the debate is going to fizzle out regardless, because
the real decision makers are remaining silent. No solution we come up
with, regardless of what we think about, is going to make it into
Blender without the core Blender developer's say so. Regardless of the
animation/motivation of all sides on this debate, the only concrete
thing to have come out of it is Campbell adding a switch to the network
render. That's it.

It's better than the "default security to off" I am arguing against, but
everyone agrees it is not really "a fix". Until there is an official
position on the matter, ALL sides of the debate are just shouting into
the wind. Sad but true.