[Bf-committers] Trusted Blender Content Repository (was Re: "Security" gets in the way)

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:55:06 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Kevin Roy <kiniou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:10:39 +0400
> Ruslan Merkulov <r.merkulov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) Create some sort of official content and scripts repository for
>> Blender with some sort of approving scheme. Maybe create an add-on for
>> Blender to download and install content approved by community and/or
>> developers.
>>
>> So, it boils down to a) educating users about security awareness, b)
>> creating a network of trust and incidentally making finding and
>> installing safe content easier.
>>

> I recently have this kind of conversation with a developer who
> create a game with the blender game engine and didn't know where to
> share and publish it. All I was able to answer to him was to publish it
> in the blenderartists forums and put a link in the wiki. But
> blender contents in the forums are quite dispersed and wiki Plugins
> section needs heavy maintenance IMO.
> It would be awesome to have such an apt-like repository
> with scripts, games or model templates and installing them directly from
> inside Blender.
> If there is a task for it, I would likely give my help as I am mainly
> interested in python script development.
>
> Cheers
> ---
> Kevin 'kiniou' Roy
> http://blog.knokorpo.fr

I have alway thought this was a good idea. All the elements that are
not core should be in one big official repository. This would also
lessen the chances of getting blender viruses and the like and make
blender much more secure without having to do stuff like sand-boxing
python.

I for one would love to have 2 download options. One, as we have now,
to get the program and a second DVD download of resources. Then in
addition to that we could have a very nice resource site with a SQL
backside.

The only downside I see to this is paying for the internet pipe and the server.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.