[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Thomas Dinges dingto at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 14:13:49 CEST 2010

Again a discussion that turned into a real mess.

I don't see the point really. The best security is still your brain and
not a button which says "make my computer secure" or whatever.
You are downloading lots of different file types every day. Just don't
load files from sources you don't trust. It's as simple as that.

It's a general problem in the computer world. The danger is here,
everywhere. Even the OS itself can kill all your data and do crazy
things. There is no 100% security. Make backups on CDs, DVDs, this is
the way.
The user should start to think and become aware of computers advantages
and disatvantages, including security issues. There is no "make my
Computer and data secure" button, neither in the OS nor an application.
And there won't be any!

Thomas