[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 05:02:19 CEST 2010

--- On Wed, 4/28/10, Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt at internode.on.net> wrote:

> From: Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt at internode.on.net>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way
> To: "bf-blender developers" <bf-committers at blender.org>
> Charles Wardlaw wrote:
> > The simple answer is: they don't. If Maya tried to add
> security settings to files you can bet your own child the
> uproar would be heard into space, and they'd roll back the
> change pretty quickly.
> >

> According to the Maya documentation, there is a check-box
> that allows
> you to disable the execution of "script nodes" when opening
> the file.
> This would indeed be a "security measure" available and
> there has been
> no uproar on it that I've heard of.

Because it's off by default, which is the opposite of the current state in Blender.

You can bet whatever you want that if this was ever turned on by default, autodesk would do the fastest turn around time on a feature ever seen and bring it back off.

Moreover, if that only concerns script nodes, my educated guess is that it leaves gaping holes (security theater anyone?).

In any case, Blender already has an option to turn on "thrust" when opening files.

Martin