[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Doug Ollivier doug at doug.org.nz
Thu Apr 29 02:45:14 CEST 2010

On 26/04/2010 11:07 p.m., Damir Prebeg wrote:
> On 26 April 2010 10:34, Colby Klein<shakesoda at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> Is there a particular problem with just making a switch in the texture
>> panel itself to go between world and materials?
>>
>> I think that's better than duplicating anything and it's much less obscure
>> than changing based on the previous panel.

Just to chime in here since this topic raised my eyebrows.
Blender can drop the texture-influence panel by opting for a "texture
socket" type system, where the texture is plugged into a value at the
location of influence/use.
This would be a nice clean departure from Blender 2.x series layout, but
is semantically and intuitively more logical than the existing.

Imagine a way to plug either a BW/A or RGB/A image into any value or
colour socket at any location

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=2989

Note: The example only shows the button where you click to choose or
activate a texture, and does not show the options around using this
texture which would need to expand out at time of use.

Advantages
** Many people will only apply a texture to a single value, this system
handles that scenario significantly faster than the existing and can
also handle applying the same texture to values all over the place....
with different overlay values (i.e. add, subtract would then be a per
channel change.
** This system gives a very good visual, and intuitive pipe through to
the textures panel from the materials panel.
** It will also bring the Standard texturing tools more in line with the
nodes editing tools without pushing the user into a new interface.  in
fact full nodes structures can then be derived from these socket links
for an alternate method of editing the same/more complex setups display
** this concept is in line with the idea of being able to animate ANY
value in the interface, as it now allows a texture or node input into
any 2D/3D value in the interface.

Cheers

--
Doug Ollivier