[Bf-committers] Improved Group restriction patch (previous Group as layer patch)

Raul Fernandez Hernandez raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Wed Apr 28 18:02:20 CEST 2010

Hi all :)

 Some time ago I have coded a group aslayer patch that suffer from several
small drawbacks, mainly in the GUI part and not in the conceptual
level. Also I must confess that my previous patch was awfull to review and
apply :P
  So I take some time to rewrite it from scratch and improve it a little.
Now is much more functional and easy to apply/integrate than before!

  This patch basically add the posibility to toggle visualization,
selectability (freezing to avoid accidental modifications) and
renderability of entire groups of objects , replicating the functionality
of a layer manager because groups could be already renamed and managed
in ways that a layer manager could not do (but the main target is not a re
layer manager, just another usefull tool for huge and complex scene
management), that´s why I called it Groups as Layers patch before, it
extend the functionality of groups in the outliner in a
natural and very needed way:

  If you want to be able to arrange your objects in logic ways, for
example, the most basic realistic mechanic modeling could have hundreds
of parts,
then 20 layers is not enough, you want a layer named bolts, other named
gears, and many more that soon will pass the 20 limit ;)

 In my site I have upload some videos showing it in action in basic scenes
  I hope you like and will be very pleased to receive some
reviews/opinions about it, and I hope with this second attempt we have a
winner

                               Cheers   Farsthary