[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

Remo Pini remo.pini at avexys.com
Wed Apr 28 10:35:37 CEST 2010

Hm...

To me - as a person coming from the IT security field - there seems to be an interesting conundrum:

At some point in the past, someone made the choice of using Python as the pervasive scripting language in Blender. We've all heard through various emails on how it is basically NOT possible to lock down Python to be secure (as well as being outside of the scope of actual language development according to the Python gurus, so it will never happen). At the same time, tons of stuff depends on Python being "fully" enabled, so shutting it off is not really an option as well.

From my experience, if an option needs to be turned on/off most of the time for things to work, it will be left at the most convenient setting always, so there really is no value in having the option in the first place.

From what I have read so far, the only "real" solution would be to move to a truly "sandboxable"/embeddable scripting language such as LUA, which is not going to happen or to keep running with the existing model of trusting everybody not to screw around with Python scripts.

All other solution that I have seen place an unmanageable burden on the user and usually require a central controlling entity (i.e. signed vs. unsigned code having access to restricted functions such as I/O).

We should keep this in perspective though. Most other 3D packages currently allow "dangerous" scripting too, so we don't really behave any worse by allowing scripts in the current setting than any other solution. Which is not to say that we shouldn't try to be "better" than the other packages on the long run...

Ultimately, I would suggest to abandon Python for a truly embedded scripting solution (i.e. LUA), but that would be a massive change with a huge impact... maybe worth a thought for Blender 3.0.

Cheers

Remo