[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:42:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Bassam Kurdali
<bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:
> How about (just a quick idea) treating textures like we do animations -
> give them their own space/editor.

I have to say one thing for this idea. When I make new textures and or
materials, I always end up rendering them to see if they look right
because the little views NEVER look like the final renders.

It would be really nice to have and editor that would give me a really
accurate idea of what my new material / texture looked like without
having to wait 10 min for my complex picture to do a full rendering.
Being able to make really good fast texture and material tests would
be a great blessing. What we have now does not really cut it when you
don't have much free time to play around.

This mess is a place that is crying out for a Zen like solution.
Having played a lot with the node system in 2.4, I could really see
that becoming the only way to do materials and textures and being very
happy with it.

To really top it off you could add a node that represented the
culmination of another node design. In other words you could add a
node called "My Cool Wood Grain node" and use it just like an normal
base node. I don't even see much reason to differentiate between nodes
that are "materials" VS "textures" at the user level in a nodal
system. It would make what linked into what quite clear and the OOP
stuff is inherently visual with the blocks and links. It could be view
as a new node page for each texture/ material or it could be seen as
all on one page; users choice.

All that would be left would be the basics in the panels of picking
what material to use for what facet.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.