[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:43:54 CEST 2010

I agree that the 2.5 workflow is disjointed and doesn't make it clear to
identify the connection between a material and a texture. At the same time I
always thought that the implementation in 2.4x was a bit of an afterthought.
The texture was available in the mat but could not be fully accessed from
there. The mapping was available in the mat but, when we think of UV
mapping, we generally think of the texture, not the material.
Basically the 2.5 system is not that broken, it just needs a way of
conveying that there is a connection between the texture and the material
(or viceversa). If we could have something like a simple node system, where
we draw a noodle between the two, and that node would be visible in the
material/texture panel, it would, IMHO, clarify the relationship between the
two.

Paolo Ciccone
www.preta3d.com
www.paolociccone.com