[Bf-committers] International Input

Harley Acheson hacheson at shawnigan.ca
Wed Apr 21 04:25:56 CEST 2010

Yaohua Xiong,

> Is it possible to add IM(IME on windows, XIM on linux, and whatever
> on Mac:-)) support to blender with moderate effort?

My gut feeling is that it would far from moderate but not impossible. For
the Windows platform IME support comes pretty easy when you use
Windows controls, but we're drawing everything in OpenGL, so I think we'd
have to trap vk_processkey and draw the composition, status, and candidate
windows ourselves using data we get from IME API. Sounds daunting.

> I'd like to give that a shot

As Matt mentioned it would be nice to first have international support for things
like file paths. At the moment we can't browse anything in your "My Documents"
folder or desktop if your username contains unicode.

Harley