[Bf-committers] libtiff linking

Jonathan Merritt merritt at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 14:23:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 19:30 +1000, Matt Ebb wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there any reason we still dynamically load libtiff?, Why don't we
> > static link like OpenEXR, or link normally as we do with libjpeg.
>
> I could be wrong, but from memory there were concerns about the size
> of the library when it was first introduced.. But it seems to be
> linked statically here on osx anyway, with no big problem really.

Spot on - at the time, libtiff was mainly required for Linux, since
QuickTime was handling TIFF under OSX and Windows.  I wrote the dynamic
load and stub methods, and needed a lot of help for the
platform-specific library detection.  I would love to see all that
disappear in favour of normal linking (static or dynamic). :-)

--
Jonathan Merritt
Research Fellow, Veterinary Science