[Bf-committers] version naming

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Apr 9 13:45:20 CEST 2010

On pe, 2010-04-09 at 20:08 +0900, Tony Mullen wrote:
> I believe marked the open-sourcing of Blender). As somebody else commented,
> if this upgrade isn't worth a leftmost-digit iteration then it's a bit hard
> to imagine what might ever be.

The refactor of Blender to be a set of libraries and components etc.,
that can be easily reused in other applications too, Blender itself
being one composition of such modules.

Possibly so that the modules are (also) Python modules, so that you can
use parts of Blender in any Python application (or some other
application that embeds Python, like Maya or our realXtend Naali Ogre
app :) . But perhaps so that provides also a non-py c api.

This has been sometimes (5 years ago, before the 2.5 plan was made)
referred as Blender 3.0 :) .. mostly just by ranting py folks, by no
means an official BF plan! Just mentioning as an example of a
theoretical change that would be bigger than 2.4 -> 2.5. Ah and Ton also
had his project Olive which looked into this, but was decided against?

Erwin's gamekit with the blend reading lib and talks about making a
reusable game logic module that can run both inside Blender and
elsewhere are perhaps steps in this direction.

But I agree, 2.5 is more like 3.0 - changes more than 1.x -> 2.0 did.
Don't mind if that old 3.0 modularization plan changes to 5.0 or so for
the year 2015 :)

But the 2.5 has been already made and names decided and communicated
etc. so i don't know if it is a good idea to change that anymore. And no
I don't mean to start a discussion about the modularization idea either,
please let's just focus on getting 2.5 to good shape.

~Toni