[Bf-committers] version naming

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 7 00:53:56 CEST 2010

Benjamin Tolputt wrote:
> Firstly, the MAJOR + "." + MINOR + "." + "BUILD/BUGFIX" method of naming
> versions gets a big thumbs up from me. I know it is not how Blender has
> done it before but it is the way every other application I've ever
> worked on or bothered checking the version of works. This is how people
> who bother knowing the versions of their software are used to thinking
> about it.

Quick clarification. By "people who bother knowing the versions..." I
mean "average users who bother". Most end-users I've worked with (who
weren't also developers) know they use Microsoft Office, but couldn't
give you the version. The "people who bother" are meant to be those that
upgrade the software (for themselves or as a part of their job for an
office, LAN, etc). These people look at major/minor versions as to
whether something might be worth the effort.

Sorry for any inadvertant offense I may have caused with bad wording.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer