[Bf-committers] version naming

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:06:56 CEST 2010

Thank you Tom for bringing this up.
I completely agree with your analysis and Wes' comments confirm the fears
that I expressed in the Bf-educators list. The usability and UI improvements
alone of the new version grant, IMHO, a full version number jump. The next
version of Blender should be rightly called 3.0!
Like it or not users at large will have the wrong perception with a .01 or
.11 version increase. And the odd/even number scheme makes absolutely no
sense to many of us developers let alone the "world at large".
We can be as logical as we want to be but many people react based on their
perception. Being aware of how common people react, which can be very
different from how geeks react, is an important factor in securing the
success of Blender.
All the amazing efforts put in coding Blender should have the reward of
widespread recognition, if no monetary reward is available.

Tom, excellent point concerning schools/decisions etc.

A big help in deciding the version number would be in creating the right
perception in the awaiting public. There is an enormous amount of talk about
"2.5". It's time now to blog, tweet and write articles about the upcoming
version of
Blender and set the record straight. Knowing how to refer to a program is
extremely important. It's the basis on how we can establish "the buzz" and
it's vital in the evolution of this version until it become ready for prime
time.
A two decimal system sounds good too me too.
I would love to see the current version being labeled "Blender 3.0 Alpha 2",
and then go for 3.0 Beta 1, 3.0 Beta 2... 3. 0 Beta N, Blender 3.0RC1 =>
Blender 3.0!

I think the benefits of going in that direction are big, very big. Fortunes
have been made by selecting the right title or product name. Perception is a
very strong factor that we should not underestimate.

--
Paolo Ciccone
www.preta3d.com