[Bf-committers] Accessing Files (new config locations, fopen wrapper, etc)

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri Apr 2 19:38:23 CEST 2010

Hi,
andrea at aweikert.de (2010-04-02 at 1201.23 +0200):
> The functions getSystemDir and getUserDir are added to GHOST, which adds
> a pretty nasty dependency to BLI_blenlib - have you any idea on how to
> solve this?

I moved to GHOST per Plisson suggestion, to support Cocoa.

> There are quite a few functions that need consulidation: BLI_where_am_i,
> BLI_where_is_temp, get_install_dir,  BLI_gethome_folder,
> BLI_gethome_system, BLI_gethome_user and for Windows there's also
> BLI_getInstallationDir...
> In these functions you can also find the code that needs to go into the
> windows version of getSystemDir and getUSerDir.
> I think that a bit of planning needs to be done how to consolidate this
> with your proposal, otherwise we'll just add more to the mess that is
> alsready there.

They idea is to clean up all those once the system is in place.

> The last issue I have with the environment variables is that if you
> create them automatically with BLI_setenv, you will add them to any
> computer where you fun Blender for example form a usb thumbdrive even
> thought the user there might not want to have anything blender
> installed. (Unlikely I know ;) ).
> I would prefer to leave a user's system untouched in this case.

Pardon? Do envvars in MSWindows work differently than in Unix? In
Unix, an envvar that is set is known by who set it and its
childrens. It never propagates to parents nor to brothers (and this is
the reason you can do export FOO=1 in one shell and export FOO=2 in
another shell).

> I do hope we can solve these issues to be able to clean up the old
> system and user directory handling and getting to a much nicer
> installation of Blender.

Me too. :]

GSR