[Bf-committers] (re) proposal for pep8 for blender scripts

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Oct 29 20:34:21 CET 2009

Hi,
ideasman42 at gmail.com (2009-10-29 at 1453.59 +0100):
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

Yes, we should use that. And something similar in other parts (C,
C++). ;]

[...]
> One exception I think we should make is the 80 width line.
> Screen size is given as a reason for this however blender is graphics
> software and I think its fair to assume people are not developing
> blender on tiny screens,
> pythons tools can be configured not to check for this.

It is not about tiny screens, but about readability (human limit, not
computer's). Printing has been in multiple columns for wide surfaces
for a reason, long lines are hard to follow. Zebra paper for wide code
listings were not a decoration, but a necesity, and even so not
everyone liked 132 cols.

This also applies to on screen code, and even more so to patches as it
makes tracking things simpler. Or comparing different files with
multiple windows or even just having multiple windows open at the same
time.

So go ahead, full PEP8 as much as possible.

GSR