[Bf-committers] (re) proposal for pep8 for blender scripts

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:50:19 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Roger Wickes <rogerwickes at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I recently wrote a render system for a major gaming company in Python,
> so I guess I count myself as a Python developer, although Python is soooo
> big now when you count all the APIs and capability, so I am always learning.
>
> +1 with what Campbell said, naturally, however one slight
> disagreement...another reason for the 80-width is a) side-by-side
> comparisons and editing, and b) I find it annoying to have to scroll to read
> a line that trails off. So, with all due respect, I dont think it's fair to
> assume that people dont use notebooks and normal width windows to code it;
> therefore I ask that we use the 80-width rule. Eclipse and Idle are easy to
> set and use. ++1 on the 4 char space as a standard. the 8 is really
> annoying, and again, Idle is easy to set to use 4 spaces.

+1

If you use a code review tool like rietveld or review board or the one on
googlecode.com, you will be happier if code is 80 columns wide. Obviously,
don't be a slave to the rules, but if you don't have a good reason to break
them, don't!

Another factor in what is now viewed as bad code style is adopting modern