[Bf-committers] (re) proposal for pep8 for blender scripts

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 15:53:42 CET 2009

 I recently wrote a render system for a major gaming company in Python, so I guess I count myself as a Python developer, although Python is soooo big now when you count all the APIs and capability, so I am always learning.

+1 with what Campbell said, naturally, however one slight disagreement...another reason for the 80-width is a) side-by-side comparisons and editing, and b) I find it annoying to have to scroll to read a line that trails off. So, with all due respect, I dont think it's fair to assume that people dont use notebooks and normal width windows to code it; therefore I ask that we use the 80-width rule. Eclipse and Idle are easy to set and use. ++1 on the 4 char space as a standard. the 8 is really annoying, and again, Idle is easy to set to use 4 spaces.

Another factor in what is now viewed as bad code style is adopting modern o-o programming methods; self calls and eliminating global variables, camelCase, etc.

with regard to Blender 2.50 Python, I am awaiting several things: 1) time to relearn the API, 2) figuring out a way to learn the new API, 3) a stable API to relearn, 4) a robust API to rewrite my code into.----------------
Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.